CANINE GLUHWEIN RECIPE - A WINTER WARMER FOR YOUR FUR-FRIEND
Updated: Jul 21
It’s no secret that 2020 has brought with it one of the coldest winters to date, with snow, rain and icy temperatures. Whilst we’re all relying on multiple cups of coffee and hot chocolate to help warm up from the inside out, our little canine counterparts could also do with a bowl of something warm!
The team from Farm Girls Doggy Daycare and Boarding have served up a recipe for Canine Gluhwein which is easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients. The colour may be compared to that of toxic waste but the proof is in the proverbial pudding as you’re presented with empty plates and wagging tails!
1kg meaty bones (it doesn't matter what type)
1 stock cube (any flavour)
2L hot water
1 packet diced pumpkin
1 packet spinach
Some plain unsweetened yoghurt
1. Brown the bones in a pot, then add the stock cube/water mixture and simmer down for an hour or so (or 20 minutes in the pressure cooker)
2. Steam the spinach and pumpkin in the microwave (don't toss the water)
3. Drain the broth from the bones into a big bowl and add the spinach and pumpkin and the water.
4. Stir for a while and wait for it to cool down before blitzing with a blender until you reach your desired consistency.
5. Pour into your dogs bowl and add a dollop of yoghurt.
The canine Gluhwine mix can also be frozen and used in puzzle mats and kongs if desired.