There are few things in life that say I love you quite as well as spoiling someone with homemade treats. Same applies for our equines! Whether you're Masterchef material or a basic baker, these delicious horse treats are foolproof and only require a handful of ingredients.
The best part - they're healthy too! We've added Canega Equiplus Oil which is packed with Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids in the perfect ratio!
· 1 carrot or Apple
· ½ cup of honey
· 2 cups of oats
· ½ to ¾ cups oat flour (to make oat flour throw some oats into a blender/food processor)
· 1 tablespoon of Canega EquiPlus oil
· 1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat the oven to 280 degrees Celsius
2. Grate the carrot (or if you use an apple just finely chop it) and mix all of the ingredients together.
Note: Keep in mind that depending on the size/type of apple or the kind of oats you use (rolled or steel‐cut oats don’t absorb as much moisture as quickly as quick oats), you may need to tweak the amounts of the ingredients, so you are able to squeeze a ball of dough in your hand and it shouldn’t fall apart.
3. Spray your baking sheet with B-well Baking Spray.
4. Now press and roll the mixture into balls in the palm of your hands and place them on the baking sheet.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes on the middle level and make sure you are checking on them often. Bake until golden brown.
6. Once golden brown, remove from oven and allow 10 mins to 15 mins to cool down.
Now go and spoil your equine friend with your yummy homemade treats. Remember to store them in a sealed container and use within one week from the day they were made. They’ll stay the freshest stored in the fridge.
Contributor: Jean-Mari Lambrechts (Canega Ambassador)
Canega EquiPlus is available from all leading feed and tack shops. To find out more visit www.canega.co.za